Flames make everything go faster!
This summer I was able to come through on a project that started last summer. My friend Josh helped me out with some yard work and when I asked what I owed him he said he had a golf cart that needed a paint job. So this summer after returning from our vacation I was able to get started. The golf cart was dropped off at my home studio and I loaded up on a new supply of rattle cans then got started. Even though it was a bigger project I was able to knock it out quickly. On day one I dismantled and taped everything along with laying down the base colors. Day two I put down the flames and did the "pinstripes." I was able to get a good coat of clear down on top of everything as well. On day three a little bit more clear coat and I reassembled everything and let it dry. This was one of those pieces that I had a lot of fun working on, especially since I was given artistic freedom. That always helps me get more into what I'm doing. I will be honest though, I had second thoughts about the color of the top while it was drying. However when I put it all back together I was super pumped about how it turned out.
SEK Art Fest
This year the South East Kansas (SEK) Art Fest had between 24 & 36 of these giant white beauties for local artists to pimp out. I was one of the lucky artist who got one, we drove down on a saturday and picked it up in the Jeep. This biggin' was hollow fortunately so moving it was not that difficult for us, just a little awkward with the shape is all. Once I had it in the studio I started laying down the base colors and cutting out stencils. I had to pay my respects to kickers and punters, being one myself, so if you look closely you'll understand the stencil shapes. I managed to get some glow in the dark spray paint to give the football a little extra glow and then finished it off with a sunflower stencil and paint markers. I named the finished piece street ball because of the graffiti art techniques that I used to deck it out. It is currently sitting in the mall in Pittsburg so please go check it out if you are in the area.
The North Power Plant Sculpture Install.
Here are some of the pictures that were taken while Gus and I installed the social commentary piece for the new Bowersock hydroelectric power plant. Almost all the supplies we used were found on the banks of the Kaw river, the interior structure is made of 2 inch square tubing and rebar and driftwood is wrapped around it in a spiral. We then decorated the exterior with a mosaic of trash that we picked up when we went driftwood hunting. All the help that I received from my family, the Hill family, and many other people I'm sure I'm forgetting was awesome. We got it installed in one rainy wet day and now it has an awesome new home. A HUGE thank you goes out to Gus for all the help installing and finishing this bad boy, and to Tiff for the photo documentation/errands she did while we finished this up.